2012/07/16

2012.07.12 - 2012.07.16 FOOD

This post is dedicated to the food I've been eating for the past few days, cause that's the fun part, right?


Dinner: Baked coconut chicken over a bed of spinach and caramelized onions.  I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper, dipped it in egg, and rolled it around in coconut flakes.  While the chicken was in the oven (at 425 degrees for 35 minutes), I caramelized some onions on the stove, and threw in some frozen chopped spinach towards the end. I like using frozen spinach because then I don't feel pressured to eat all of it within a week.  Next time, I'll make an additonal side since the portion seemed a little small.


Lunch: I was a bad girl, and forgot to take my chicken out of the freezer to thaw for my lunch.  Luckily, there was free food at work. Isn't it funny what other people consider to be healthy? I swear, sometimes they only have granola, danishes, and cereal for breakfast meetings - where are the steak and eggs? Anyways, I grabbed a couple hamburger patties and a hot dog, coleslaw, and some raw toppings. The coleslaw was in some sort of creamy sauce, but I had to make do since there was no raw salad.  I think it made my stomach feel all grumbly later.


Dinner: I love my George Foreman grill. I think it's the best for grilling up chicken and burgers indoors. I grilled up a lemon garlic chicken breast (salt, pepper, minced garlic, and lemon juice), chopped it up, and threw it on lettuce, tomatoes, and avocados.  It's been so hot here in Omaha; salads seem like the perfect food to offset the heat.


Breakfast: Ah yes. The "it's the end of the week, and there are scrap ingredients in the fridge" garbage breakfast.  I scrambled up a couple eggs, frozen spinach, and sausage.  Topped off with fresh tomatoes and avocados. Yummy.


Lunch: On Saturday, I met some people from CrossFit Omaha at a sports bar to cheer on the athletes in the CrossFit Games. I ordered a bunless 1/3 lb burger with sweet potato rounds.  How disappointing - the burger was bland, and the sweet potato rounds tasted really weird (I think they added some sugar).  I guess it was better than anything else on their menu.  I don't like to feel guilty about meals like this, because I am doing my best to stick to healthy foods - no need to beat myself up over something that's not in my control! You shouldn't be too strict with your diet, or you won't have any fun (and you won't be any fun to be around)!


Dinner: This was DELICIOUS. I decided to consult the "Well Fed" Paleo cooking book, and was excited to discover that I had the ingredients for zucchini pasta in my fridge.  The most important part of making the pasta was to let it sit with salt for about 20 minutes.  Then, I rinsed it with water, patted the strands dry with a paper towel, and then threw it on the stove.  Mix in some olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper flakes - you've got delicous pasta!! I've been a little sick of red meat, so I grilled up another chicken (salt, pepper) for my protein.


Lunch: Oooo, I LOVE grocery shopping days. I'm a little OCD, so I only buy ingredients that I know I will use and finish within the week.  Naturally, by Sunday I have nothing to eat.  I was getting pretty hungry roaming the aisles of Whole Foods, thinking about all the delicious meals I had planned.  Their hot buffet is full of non-Paleo foods, but you can usually find something that will work.  I grabbed some kielbasa sausage that was sauteed with onions and peppers, and then made a little side salad (spinach, carrots, egg, balsamic vinegar). My stomach was appeased.


Dinner: Another recipe from "Well Fed" (this is a really good cookbook, and I also love her blog).  These are Bora Bora Fireballs (spiced pineapple pork meatballs rolled in coconut flakes), with a side of broccoli.  I think that 30 minutes was too long in the oven for these babies, cause they turned out a little dry. I cut the recipe in half, and only used a pound of ground pork, but that provided 4 servings of meatballs (aka 4 meals). Not bad!

I'm excited for what I have planned for the rest of the week.  And then, I jet off to Chicago for a completely reckless, non-Paleo, disgustingly good weekend with some of my lovely friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment