2012/07/26

Taste Test: Ropa Vieja, and Round 2 Recipes

Look what I got in the mail! The new addition to my kitchen "staff" - a Hamilton Beach slow cooker!


There's this ropa vieja recipe from PaleOMG that I've been wanting to try. You should check out Julie's blog - she's hilarious.

Ropa Vieja

1.5-2lbs chuck roast
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 (6 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper, to taste

I gathered up the players, and de-virginified the crock pot with sliced peppers and onions.


I stabbed 4 cuts into the chuck roast, and pushed garlic cloves into their little nests.


The roast went on the top of the veggies, and seasonings went on top of the roast.


Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and a bay leaf blanketed the meat. Slow cooker was set on HIGH for 6 hours.


6 hours later... (I ladeled the sauce over the meat every 2 hours, but I don't think you need to do this).


The roast was done at 2am... no joke. I need to plan my cooking out better.

Round 2 Meal (well, in this case - Round 1)

I couldn't wait til dinner, so I used the roast for breakfast.  I had "huevos rancheros". I shredded the roast with a couple forks, laid it on a plate, ladeled some peppers and onions on top, fried on egg, and threw on salsa and guac. Yes, please.


After work, I got to work on the second part of the recipe - the f'rice (faux rice).

Cuban Style Rice

1 head of cauliflower, stem removed and roughly chopped
3 thick sliced of bacon, diced
1 (4 oz) can tomato sauce
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper, to taste

I chopped up the califlower into tiny florets, and threw it all in my blender (Don't have money to purchase a food processor at the moment, but the blender worked fine. Just had to shake and stir it around a bit).


Looks like rice, right?


I microwaved bacon for the first time. It was so easy.  All you do it wrap paper towl around the slices, and zap them for 2.5 minutes.  Check them, and zap them for a little longer if you have to.  They were crispy! Or you can throw them in the oven (400 degrees for 15 minutes on a wire rack).


Mixed everything together on the stove, and ta da! My final plate.


I plan on making a chipotle style salad with the roast for lunch. That's a lot of meat, and you have to mix it up to keep it interesting!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! You've never microwaved bacon before? Girl...

    ReplyDelete