2012/07/30

TASTE TEST: SPICY TUNA CAKES, KALE WITH ROASTED BEETS AND BACON


I really don't like having a "stocked" pantry or fridge. There are a few reasons for this: 1) I move so often for work that I like to be as minimalistic as possible. I typically only buy items that I know I'll use within a week (length between grocery trips), unless it's something that's almost impossible to use that quickly (flour, sugar (ah!), spices). 2) I have OCD, and I don't like being overwhelmed with things to organize. 3) I am horrible at making decisions, so it would stress me out to choose a container to store perishables (plus, they HAVE to match). 4) I am terrified of bugs, and I like to minimize the number of things they could be hiding behind, hiding in, crouching on top of, etc. Anyways, I've been reading on a lot of blogs that tuna packed in olive oil is the way to go. I was perusing the aisles of Trader Joe's, saw these olive-oil-tuna cans, and impulsively threw 2 in my cart. They've been sitting in my cupboard for a couple weeks, and it's been really bothering me.

After seeing a picture of a tuna cake on the internet (I'm constantly looking at food), my pulse quickened at the thought of using these cupboard space-hogging cans. I Googled "paleo tuna cake", and found this. I'm not a fan of "dried bell peppers" (never heard of this), and I wanted more of a kick. So, my adaption of Raf's recipe is below.

I didn't want these tuna cakes to sit on a plate all by their lonesome. I've been side-eyeing kale for awhile now, and have been subconsiously searching for a friendly recipe. Enter: Guy Fieri. I was watching the Food Network (seriously, I'm constantly looking at food); he was blabbing on about how kale is his favorite green, and then he threw this great recipe at me. Great side dish. I actually liked the kale; my lips quivered a bit before my first bite, but they taste like a slightly-bitter version of spinach. I totally shortcutted the recipe, and used frozen kale and pre-roasted beets (Trader Joe's didn't have the fresh versions).

Spicy Tuna Cakes

2 cans tuna (packed in olive oil)
2 large eggs
4 tbsp almond flour (or coconut flour)
2 scallions
2 tsp Paleo Mayo
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 diced bell pepper (I used green)
1 minced jalapeno pepper (adjust quantity to your spice preference)
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed black pepper
salt, to taste
cayenne pepper, pinch
hot sauce, optional (I use Frank's Red Hot)
2 tbsp olive oil

1. Drain olive oil out of tuna cans. Mix all the ingredients together (minus olive oil), and let rest for 5 minutes; this allows the flour to absorb some of the excess moisture.
2. Heat skillet over medium with olive oil. Fry tuna cakes, about 4 minutes per side.
3. For a sauce, you can use leftoever Paleo Mayo. To make a tartar sauce, just add in some minced pickles, lemon juice, minced onions, and salt/pepper. I used leftover Charred-Pepper sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment