2012/07/23

Taste Test: Sunshine Sauce and Pad Thai

I was running a little late for work this morning, so I made and ate my breakfast in 10 minutes (phew!). I scrambled up a couple eggs, diced up some kielbasa sausage, and topped it off with Sriracha sauce. Simple yet effective.


For my other meals, I took a tip from my favorite Food Network star, Sandra Lee, and went "semi-homemade". I was a little crunched for time after my weekend in Chicago, and knew it would be challenging (aka I'd be too lazy) to create my meals from scratch.  At Trader Joe's, I bought pre-made salsa, guacamole, and pre-cut/washed broccoli. There is nothing wrong with a shortcut, but make sure you read the ingredients list to avoid any scary/suspicious items. Then, I took out a couple recipes from the wonderful Melissa Joulwan, and started cooking away - semi-homemade style.

"Sunshine Sauce"
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar red wine vinegar
1/4 cup sunflower seed butter (I used the Sunbutter brand)
dash ground cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 cup coconut milk


I whipped up the Sunshine Sauce (super simple) last night, and stored it in the fridge for today.  Lunch was a simple salad with greens, salsa, guacamole, and grilled chicken with the sauce drizzled on top. It was SO delicious.

"Pad Thai"
1 batch Sunshine Sauce
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons coconut aminos
2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup snap peas, thinly sliced lengthwise broccoli
2 cups cooked spaghetti squash julienne-peeled zucchini
6-8 ounces grilled chicken thighs, diced
+ Garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

Dinner was just as simple, and just as delicious.  I was so in love with the zucchini pasta I made last week, so I subbed that for the spaghetti squash.  Remember to let your "pasta" sit with salt for 20 minutes! This will draw the moisture out of the zucchini so your pasta doesn't end up soggy.



I fried up my eggs first, then sauteed the onions and broccoli (I used broccoli instead of sugar snap peas). I grilled my chicken in my trusty George Foreman, and tossed everything together in the pan with the Sunshine Sauce. I added some garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes for some more flavor on the pasta.



Yup, I'm pretty happy with today.

1 comment: